Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Education and Technology

Today continues my coverage of "education" as a topic.

First, another TED talk: This one is by Salman Khan of Khan Academy, talking in March 2011 about the advantage of putting lessons into videos and how the material can be used to "flip the classroom". The talk is just over 20 minutes long.

Let's Use Video to Re-invent Education

The 2nd talk today is a non-TED lecture from one of Udacity's professors, Jörn Loviscach, talking at a May, 2012, conference in Switzerland about where he thinks education is being driven by the availability of MOOC's and video-on-demand lessons. The talk is about 40 minutes long, and is delivered in an accented English.

MOOC's and Other Faster Horses

I'm curious to see how "teaching until mastery" really works out with real students. It seems to imply a level of self-motivation that doesn't seem to be common-place. Perhaps the problem is that the self-motivation has been trained out of the children by the traditions of education where wrong answers are a bad outcome??

I also note that the dashboard Khan shows is far more slick than the guidance that the infrastructure of Udacity provides for tracking a class. Maybe Udacity needs more time and demand to come through with additional tools to support a role for a "local teacher" in the courses. The existing Udacity software doesn't really offer any overview of who is stuck and who is moving through the material with ease, not even identifying who isn't even putting in the time to try.

If you've had experience with MOOC's and/or "flipping the classroom", I'd sure like to hear about how that went for you. Please contribute some comments, even if you just contribute a link pointing to your own blog where you talk about this stuff.

Back in my time with a major industrial research and development organization, one of my frustrations was that so little attention was paid to failed projects. To this day, I strongly believe that there's lots to be learned by thinking through the reasons a project didn't succeed. Surely, if every project succeeds, that is evidence that you are setting the bar too low and need to try harder. So, failures are to be expected, but why did the project fail? Were the implementation requirements wildly mis-estimated? Was it a technical problem or was it a management problem? Surely there's value in figuring things out to maximize the chances of not repeating exactly the same mistake next time. But I was there long enough to see that rewards did not go to people who learned from mistakes. Pity.

And now with MOOC's there is a high enough drop-out rate that surely there is stuff to be learned from talking with the folks who didn't stick around long enough to cross the finish line, but I've seen little evidence that the MOOC organizations are making an effort to contact for "exit interviews" the folks crowding the exits. Seems downright unscientific.

Drew

6 comments :

  1. "talking at a May, 2013..."

    You mean May, 2012

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Nice post. I have used MOOC's but rather than passing the course I have failed many times even when I had a good hold on prerequisites.
    Earlier, I took many courses out of excitement that I would get the knowledge from some of "PRESTIGIOUS" universities from all over the world. I devoted a lot of time to the courses but was unable to complete even a single one. Now I am on programming languages and 6.00x.
    I hope so that I can complete at least one of them.
    Talking about the doubts that arise while video lectures, one thing comes in my mind that a real person is necessary to clear those doubts. At least some of them which are really important.
    I had a experience when I was unable to solve the problem from PROGR. LANGUAGES course. I put that thing on forum but what I get in those forums which just points to some lectures threads and some suggestions. I had many experiences like this one.
    Regarding the dropouts from the course is really worrying thing. Well I know many people begin with enthusiasm but at the end they give up.
    So if you want to succeed in this online courses its not easy. But at last if you even completed some segments and modules of those lectures, it is a worthwhile experience for you.
    Nupur

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The existing Udacity software doesn't really offer any overview of who is stuck and who is moving through the material with ease, not even identifying who isn't even putting in the time to try."

    Not to us students, but I'm sure that the people behind the scenes are collecting this data, and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've volunteered to guide a class through a mentor'ed edition of Udacity CS101 at the local North Hempstead, NY, "Yes We Can" Community Center. Udacity's lack of a dashboard means that figuring out who most needs help or perhaps needs encouragement is going to be hard for me to figure out. Udacity seems to even lack a mechanism for grouping a set of people together as a "class" for tracking purposes. Udacity, it appears, has no support for any notion of a "local teacher" role, but Khan academy, judging from this video apparently does.

      I won't feel right turning the students loose and checking back 8 weeks later to see who has passed the exam. I think I should take a more active role in those weeks between the starting line and the finish line.

      The classroom has 12 PC-equipped seats. If I manage to fill the class-room at the start and have anything like a conventional MOOC drop-out rate, the odds are I won't live long enough to see a student pass the final exam. My hope is that having a local presence will boost the retention rate, but so far we've only announced the course (aiming for a 3/4/2013 start), not really started so far, so mine is not yet a reality-tested point of view.

      Delete
  4. i find your blog very useful. Thanx.
    www.anilsahu77.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete